Living a Towel and Basin Lifestyle | Week Four | Pattern’s Series
Everyone is called to model after Jesus in humble service.
Set The Scene-
- Last Supper = Last Chance
- Jesus is about to go to the cross so this is His last chance to impart vision to those charged with building His church.
- Man with a Pitcher
- In Luke 22:10- Jesus tells Peter and John to look for a man carrying a pitcher of water.
- They missed the point
- 23 So they began to argue among themselves which of them it could be who was going to do it. 24 Then a dispute also arose among them about who should be considered the greatest. –Luke 22:23-24
- Jesus Interrupts with Service
- Self- centeredness is not conquered by force, it only surrenders to servitude.
- Self- centeredness is a response of the flesh and the flesh requires crucifixion.
- 16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17 For the desire of the flesh is against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, in order to keep you from doing whatever you want. –Galatians 5:16-17
- 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are:… strife, jealousy,… selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, 21 envy,… and things like these… –Galatians 5:19-21
A Garment, A Towel, and A Basin-
- 3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had handed all things over to Him, and that He had come forth from God and was going back to God, 4 got up from supper and laid His outer garments aside; and He took a towel and tied it around Himself. 5 Then He poured water into the basin, and began washing the disciples’ feet and wiping them with the towel which He had tied around Himself. – John 13:3-5
The Ultimate Question-
- 12 Then, when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done for you? – John 13:12
Jesus’ Leadership Seminar is a Servanthood Seminar-
- 13 You call Me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord’; and [a]you are correct, for so I am. 14 So if I, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I gave you an example, so that you also would do just as I did for you. 16 Truly, truly I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is [b]one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. – John 13:13-16
- Tue leadership isn’t about how many people serve you, but how many people you serve.
- Leadership is not about wielding power, but about yielding power.
What does my “towel and basin” look like?
- We are each called to find our own ways to serve those around us. These are:
- Unnoticed acts of kindness
- Intercession prayer for others
- Spirit-led Words of Knowledge
- The everyday responsibilities we shoulder to accomplish the mission of our church and family.
- 17 If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them. –John 13:17
Words of Knowledge:
We believe the Lord wants to heal people who have a brain injury to their frontal lobe.
We believe the Lord wants to heal people struggling with residual pain in their right hand from being electrocuted.
We believe there are people here who have given up on “God dreams” and He wants you to believe again.